Friday, November 30, 2007

Thanksgivings!

My family lives too far to get together on Thanksgiving so I began cooking it myself two years ago for local friends in the same predicament. I had three guests but cooked enough for ten, that seemed about right for Thanksgivings. The bird was 14 pounds and I filled it with Italian sausage stuffing and covered it with cheese cloth soaked in melted butter. the cheese cloth was a great trick I just leaned about. The cloth really hangs on to the liquid when basting and the turkey came out very moist.


I also made cranberry sauce, of course, roasted
root vegetables, Brussels sprouts with bread crumb and hard boiled egg, and an apple, walnut cheese salad. It sounds fairly simple but there was a lot of juggling on my tiny stove. The turkey made its way to the table ahead of a few side dishes, and the boys picked at the plate with such stealth that we had to cut many more slices. Being from Sweden, the boys are new to Thanksgiving, so just minutes before Robert fell sound asleep Steph and I told him about tryptophan. There was a few seconds of disbelief and then snoring.


After a good sized nap, I woke Robert up with this piece of gingerbread atop a cloud of English cream. Boy do I love this dessert!




Later we watched Gary Vaynerchuk's WLTV thanksgivings special and tasted these wines, followed by a mandatory dance party and a round of poker which was a non stop argument, but in a fun way.

No comments: