Saturday, November 3, 2007

Burgundy reds

Last night I hosted another wine tasting event with my meet up group. We had five red wines from Burgundy: two from Beaujoulais, and one each from Cote Chalonnaise, Cote De Beaune and Cote de Nuits. I have been furiously focusing on trying to develop my palate to detect the aromas and nuances in the flavor. At the first few wine tastings I had a blind smelling where I put different aromatics (lemon, mango, banana...) in a covered cup and the group tried to identify the contents based on smell alone. But last night I think I finally figured out that I am focusing too much on trying to detect these descriptives (like raspberry, caramel, straw) and I should be paying attention to the other attributes like the mouth feel, acidity or complexity.



Look how buttery this cheese is! This is the Mt. Tam from Cowgirl Creamery. It is smooth and delicious on top of an apple wedge. We also had Epoisses from the Burgundy region. It is a washed rind cheese and smells like Mrs. D's horse camp that I attended as a kid. Hay, mucked stalls, horse... it was like reliving some of my favorite childhood memories. It tasted fantastic too!

No comments: