Wednesday, December 12, 2007

J'adore Paris

Here is a little thing I like about Paris, the hotel I am staying in provides (for a charge of course) this half bottle of wine, corkscrew and glasses, as well as a full stocked mini bar. This bottle makes me happy... well not so much the bottle but the corkscrew because I intend to go over to Monoprix and pick up my own bottle of wine and use that corkscrew.
It is fun to travel in a foreign country! I like to see how flummoxed I can be by simple things, such as doors. This is my third time in Paris and I am still unable to pass through a door without difficulty. There are latches to contend with and buttons to press. I think I fully dismantled the security system in one building. I was quite stuck that time.
While I am very adventurous and excited to take the metro, I am daunted by the task of purchasing the tickets. I have to explain where I am going and consider zones. So far, no catastrophes. The other thing about the Metro is you have manually open the door to get on the train. More doors. Today I was unable to flip the latch and had to step aside while a local girl flipped open the door on her first try. She gave me the eyeball that I think would translate into English as "duh?" and she would be correct. On the plus side, what I like about the metro is that it makes funny farty noises. How can you not get a giggle out of that?

No comments: