Monday, October 29, 2007

Breakneck Ridge

On Sunday morning I packed a lunch of turkey chili and headed off for a monster hike and scramble on Breakneck Ridge which is along the Hudson River, close to Cold Spring NY. There were lots of rocks and some really challenging / scary rocks to jam in a foot hold and hoist yourself up on to.

Here are a few of the fine folk at I joined the hike. It was a big group of 30 people which is tricky to coordinate (though it wasn't me who coordinated it). Mishaps were kept to a minimum and fun was had by all.


And behold, some beautiful foliage. The trees are not yet at peek; there is still a lot of green. I have been very gung-ho to see the colors this year but the weather has been so warm that the change was hugely delayed. Finally it is cold today. Since I can only get out of NYC on the weekends I am hoping that the leaves don't blast through their color and fall off between Monday and Friday!
The hike lasted till 5 pm. Afterwards, everyone met up a local bar in Cold Spring. I drove three fellow hikes back to Manhattan where we stopped off at Molly's, an Irish pub on 23rd and 3rd Avenue. Fish and chips, and Guinness never tasted so good! What is it about thoroughly exhausting yourself that makes food (and beer especially) taste so sublime? I could have easily melted on to the chair and remain there forever!

No comments: